IMPROVE: whilst the Indian Ladder Trail is closed for the period.
The Overlook parking area has become just traffic that is one-Way.
Tracks are available. For more info about NYS areas and COVID 19.
Thacher State Park is found over the Helderberg Escarpment, one of many wealthiest formations that are fossil-bearing the entire world. Also as it safeguards six miles of limestone cliff-face, rock-strewn slopes, woodland and available areas, the park offers a panorama that is marvelous of Hudson-Mohawk Valleys as well as the Adirondack and Green Mountains. The park has volleyball courts, playgrounds, ball industries and various picnic areas with nine reservable shelters. Interpretive programs can be found year-round, including led trips associated with the Indian Ladder that is famous Trail. There are over 25 extra miles of tracks for hiking, mountain cycling, cold weather cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. Discover more, view WMHT’s documentary: ‘The Great Ledge: Exploring Thacher’
The Visitor Center situated at Thacher State Park has geological and exhibits that are historical the Helderberg Escarpment as well as its’ importance regarding the area. The customer center has activities for the kids and grownups alike, along side two rentable areas. There was a meeting space for teams under 25, and also the Helderberg place that offers stunning views and a premiere area for weddings and bigger festivities or gatherings.
Sport climbing available with finalized license application. Please e-mail applications that are digital you reach the customer Center for faster solution when picking right up your permit. Picture ID needed on grab. All climbers must get a license face-to-face before going into the area that is climbing. Please see internet site for opening date of climbing.
Camping is available only at that park at Thompson’s Lake Campground, which features 140 campsites with choices of private wooded web web sites and available, adjacent web web sites. web internet internet web Sites can accommodate tents or RVs and so are all close to restroom and bath facilities. Simply take the tour that is virtual!
Crazy Enjoy Adventure Course: This brand new adventure program provides 15 zip lines, 60 aerial games, and a 40 ft jump. All night and pricing see
The Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center is situated two kilometers through the Overlook on Thompson’s Lake. The guts provides displays, interactive shows, tracks for climbing and skiing, snowfall footwear rentals and academic programs.
Pavilion Ideas Thacher has nine pavilions. Rates consist of $75 to $250 and may accommodate 40 to 200 people. Check always access at ReserveAmerica.
Pet Policy: an optimum of two animals are permitted in campsites and time usage areas unless forbidden by indication or directive. Animals should be monitored all of the time and be either crated or for a leash no more than 6-feet in total. Evidence of rabies inoculation will probably be produced if required by staff. Animals aren’t allowed in playgrounds, buildings, tennis courses, boardwalks, swimming swimming swimming swimming swimming pools and spray-grounds or beaches that are guarded this doesn’t connect with solution animals).
Costs & Prices
Many nyc State Parks charge a car use charge to go into the center. Fees differ by season and location. A summary of entry costs as well as other park usage charges can be acquired below. For costs maybe not detailed or even to validate information, please contact the park straight.
The easy-to-use Empire Pass card is $80- along with your key to all-season satisfaction with limitless day-use entry at many facilities operated by State Parks together with State Dept. of ecological Conservation including woodlands, beaches, tracks and much more. Purchase online or contact your favorite park to get more information. Find out more about our Admission Programs including the Empire Pass.
- Vehicle Entrance Fee
Gathered dailyMay that is 9am-5pm – October 31
Non-Profit Buses: $ buses that are 35Commercial $75
New! Download this park’s electronic map to your iOS Apple and Android os unit.
- Map of Thompson’s Lake Campground at Thacher State Park (pdf)
- Google World file (kmz)
- Trail Map Southern (pdf)
- Trail Map North (pdf)
- Bird Conservation Region Map (pdf)
- Thacher State Park Hunting Map (pdf)
Shows of Thacher State Park:
- Thacher has a limestone landscape! The dissolution of limestone bedrock provides increase to Karst features: sinkholes, caves, vanishing channels, and springs.
- The park is really a migration corridor for hawks and a Fall Hawk Watch is established during the park overlook every 12 months throughout the mid-September top duration. For a day that is good a huge selection of hawks is visible moving overhead.
- In the very first hot rainy nights in springtime, frequently late March/early April right right right right right here, volunteers gather to help salamanders get a get a cross the trail to their journey to reproduce in vernal ponds.
- The honeybees when you look at the observation hive during the Nature Center are busy: the queen is laying eggs, additionally the employees are raising larva and nectar that is collecting pollen.
- Ripe pea pea pea nuts from our indigenous woods are a essential supply of cold weather meals shops for wildlife. In the Helderberg Escarpment, the essential numerous nut woods are oak, hickory, and beech. Acorns are specially essential cold weather food for deer, squirrels, and chipmunks.
- The Helderbergs average 8 degrees colder than the valley and receive much more snow in the winter with an elevation of over 1100 feet. Thacher Park is just a destination that is favorite cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The floor could be bare in Albany if you have deep snowfall in the park.
- Thacher’s Nature Center had been voted to the “Top 20 Places to Take youngsters when you look at the Capital Region” by youngsters on an outing.
Pay attention of these wild wild wild birds at our Park:
Everybody is really a Steward: Be considered a Thacher State Park Hero!
- Keep your puppy on a leash to safeguard ground nesting wild wild birds and mammals that are small the forests.
- Utilize trails whenever geocaching and put caches within 20 foot of this path.
- Find out about invasive types and volunteer for www.seniorpeoplemeet.reviews/ elimination jobs.
- Purchase your firewood during the campground and then leave behind that which you do not burn off.